Posted/Last Revised: 30th Jan, 2018
- Contact Name
- Human Resources
- Closing Date
- Feb. 20, 2018
No matter who you are, chances are you’ve experienced something spectacular that Northlands has produced—we’ve been doing it since 1879. As a not-for-profit, we’re focused on providing Albertans with memorable experiences that bring together amazing events, agricultural awareness and community enrichment.
Reporting to the Director, Brand and Marketing, the Manager of Communications will be responsible for overseeing and supporting the development and implementation of an annual approved communications plan/program which will address and meet the communication requirements necessary to support Northlands’ strategic and business plan objectives.
You would be responsible for…
- Leading the public relations function of Northlands through all communications channels: media relations, social media, web, print/copy, editorial, etc.
- Leading continual development and maintenance of the Northlands Crisis Management Communication Plan
- Updates Social Media Channel summary reports to understand channel effectiveness and impact
- Manages all Media inquiries; newspapers, television and social media
- Collaborate with marketing and subject matter experts in a timely manner to determine appropriate media responses
- Support speech writing for the President & CEO and Northlands Board of Directors
- Build new, and maintaining existing relationships with key media contacts and identifying opportunities to proactively pitch brand and corporate stories to media as appropriate.
- Works with Communications team to develop Media Release and Pitches: develop ideas, concepts, stories and talking points that assist in the development and execution of Northlands Events.
- Engage in market scanning, gathering intelligence, industry awareness, competitive activities, and keeping abreast of communication needs (current and future), identify new business opportunities; provide ongoing recommendations to the Director, Brand and Marketing for appropriate Northlands responses or new initiatives
- Oversee key messaging for media events for the President & CEO; crafting messages for stakeholders such as City Councilors, Politicians, Northlands Board of Directors, staff and clients
- Provide assistance and preparation for Northlands staff interviews with media, clients and/or other stakeholders
You should have…
- A University degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English or related discipline coupled with a minimum of seven years experience in Communications and/or Public Relations.
- Strong working knowledge of communication principles and practices. Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with strong writing and editorial abilities.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and execute flawlessly on projects in a fast paved, pressured environment and see a project through to completion.
- Ability and desire to be an influential communications consultant within the organization. Proven project management and leadership skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion, with a high level of accuracy regarding information.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders and work effectively with all levels of employees is critical.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, internet, wire services, media monitoring software, and other public relation tools.
Not only are we a fun, rewarding place to work, you’ll also enjoy a competitive salary and some great extras including a comprehensive benefits plan; an employer matched pension plan; a health and wellness program, corporate discounts and free parking. As part of our commitment to the community, our Day of Sharing program encourages staff to spend a day volunteering in the community (with pay).
Thank you for your interest in applying with Northlands.
Please note that only the most qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews.