Manager Communications, Storytelling & Media Relations
Posted/Last Revised: 10th Oct, 2017
- Covenant Health
- Tawa Centre
- Educational Req.
- Minimum Required: Baccalaureate degree in journalism, writing, communications or related field.
- Preferred: Master degree in Business Administration, Journalism, Communications or a related field.
- Minimum Required: At least ten years experience required—with a combination of progress development in news media or in communications for an organization in a complex environment.
- Experience as a working journalist or editor/producer of content required.
- Experience designing and implementing innovative media/social media, digital communications, public relations, marketing or engagement strategies required.
- Experience with web and social media platforms required.
Demonstrated ability to develop strong, integrated teams and to achieve team goals and deliver on objectives.
- Leadership skills, including demonstrated ability and comfort with decision making responsibilities, managerial courage to address issues, mentoring, and the ability to inspire and build confidence in others.
- Healthcare and/or public sector environment experience
- Advanced journalistic storytelling, writing and editorial skills
- Experience in issues management
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to influence and motivate others to contribute.
- Successful record of achievement as a leader and experience in strategy, policy development, program management as well as delivery, measuring and monitoring effectiveness.
- Demonstrated research, analytical, problem solving and consulting skills.
- Demonstrated analytical, conflict resolution, and negotiation skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, including conflicting priorities and time pressures.
- Innovative and dynamic leadership skills to direct services with compassion, dedication and operational business acumen.
- Effective communicator with strong organizational skills, client focused orientation and commitment to providing quality service.
- Demonstrated understanding of best-practices and emerging trends and application.
- Sound project management skills, including the ability to manage timelines, budgets, team dynamics and multiple stakeholders.
- Committed to personal development and participation in continuing education activities related to leading-edge human resource practices.
- Firm commitment to living the mission and values of Covenant Health.
- Combination of a related diploma with at least 10 years in a senior role in news media or a complex, public sector environment would be considered.
- Contact Name
- Fran Roos
- Closing Date
- Oct. 17, 2017
The Manager, Communications–Storytelling and Social Media provides leadership to the corporate integrated storytelling strategy as a cornerstone of the organization’s external and internal communication, working with Senior leaders and subject matter experts to enhance the organization’s reputation, manage risk, engage staff and build public understanding and trust in Covenant Health.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the positon builds and sustains a team of communication professionals committed to integrated storytelling across all platforms. The position is responsible for ensuring storytelling and social media are carried out in a manner consistent with Covenant Health’s Mission, Values and Ethical Guidelines. The Manager also develops and implements strategies for enhancing the reach, impact and effectiveness of integrated storytelling.
The position leads Covenant Health’s digital story platform, The Vital Beat, anchoring the organization’s external communications and ambassadorship efforts. Leadership responsibilities as the managing editor include developing the editorial content strategy, managing resources effectively, securing and directing internal and external contributors, and monitoring and measuring effectiveness to meet strategic goals. The position also develops and implements plans for earned media coverage.
The Manager provides leadership to the organization’s social media strategy and operations, including ensuring effective governance, training and education to ensure appropriate and effective use, manage risks, enhance corporate capacity and maximize positive impact in support of strategic goals. The position establishes and maintains positive working relationships with internal and external key communications stakeholders, vendors, and consultants.
The Manager also advises senior leaders and their teams on best practices through consultation, planning and advising. The position leads corporate communications projects as required and develops and implements communications plans and strategies in collaboration with senior leaders and project managers as required.