Posted/Last Revised: 12th Nov, 2017
- Yellow Pencil
- Edmonton or Vancouver
- Educational Req.
Good on paper
- A degree or diploma in computer science or a related field
- 3-5 years experience in web or application development, or a related field
- Experience communicating with clients one-on-one and in groups
- You should know a lot about: PHP, web development best practices
- You should have excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving capabilities
- You have some experience with LAMP systems or familiarity with MAMP
- You have some experience with Git or other version control systems
But hey, if your background doesn’t quite match up with this list, but you know you’ll be a perfect fit – tell us why. We’ll listen.
- Contact Name
- Danielle Harder
- Contact Phone
- (780) 423-5917
- Contact Email
- Closing Date
- Dec. 31, 2017
We’re looking for a full-time Developer.
We are looking for someone who gets excited about using technology to craft impactful solutions to public sector challenges. You’ll be working in PHP frameworks like Lumen/Laravel and Drupal. We don’t expect you to be an expert at everything to start, but we need a developer who is willing to learn and is engaged in solving interesting problems. You’ll build big systems that focus on efficiency and ease of use. You’ll use web standards and best practice (and some old fashioned vim and vigor) to create elegant code and interfaces.
We’re not going to tell you what to do – we’re counting on you to figure out the real problem and how to solve it. You’re someone who’s not afraid to ask questions or pipe up with new ideas or solutions. You’ll need to be feel comfortable in PHP and have object-oriented programming foundations, as well as excellent debugging skills.
- Build and maintain scalable web applications with PHP
- Integrate applications or sites with third party libraries or APIs.
- Create custom Drupal modules to extend the platform
- Implement Drupal content types, views, and modules to build out complex sites
- Work with technical architects to implement and extend our frameworks, and build system extensions that can be reused across projects
- Work with our hosted solutions team to support deployments
- Work with a wide range of web services to display static and dynamic content
- Build and document easy-to-use content author interfaces
- Collaborate with the rest of the development team to solve problems and make things better
- Find better ways to deliver projects all the time
- Work with content authors and clients to make their tasks easier so they can create better content
The thanks you’ll get
- Competitive compensation rates
- Medical, dental, and extended health benefits
- Annual health spending account
- Monthly fitness subsidy
- Annual education allowance
As our next Developer, you’ll be joining either our Edmonton, AB or Vancouver, BC team.
Who you are
We care about our culture here at YP. Your personality is just as important to us as your qualifications. We’re looking for somebody who is:
Interested and motivated
Our industry is changing every second. We need you to be ready, willing, and excited to keep up with it.
Already awesome, but ready to be awesomer
Be ready to get your hands dirty (not with actual dirt. Intellectual dirt). We won’t tell you what to do, we’ll collaborate with you to discover the best way to do it.
Always trying to get better
Training and development is a huge part of our values. We want you to be good at what you do, but we also want you to look for ways to get even better.
Ready to make an impact
The best part of Yellow Pencil? Anyone can help change how the company works. Got a better idea? Shout it out. Thought of something new? Make it happen.
Who we are
Yellow Pencil is a full-service web design agency based out of Edmonton and Vancouver. We work on big content problems for big (and big-ish) organizations.
We make our clients great at web content and digital services; we do it by giving them effective tools and empowering them with the right skills.
- We work as a team
- We keep improving
- We respect and encourage ideas
Working at Yellow Pencil means:
- A constant commitment to learning and growth
- Delivering the highest quality work possible on every project
- A people-first workplace. We want you to love being here as much as we do
- Work/life balance. We like that people have lives outside of the office
- An endless supply of fruit and snacks, and the occasional high five
So apply now!