Travel Media Specialist
Posted/Last Revised: 1st Nov, 2017
- Tourism Jasper
- Jasper, Alberta
- Educational Req.
Tourism Jasper is the Destination Marketing Organization for Jasper and Jasper National Park. We’re a young, energetic, forward thinking team, who are charged with developing and executing on creative solutions to help our Shareholders (select hotels, restaurants, and activities in Jasper) increase revenue through sustainable visitation of targeted consumers.
Reporting to the Media and Distribution Manager, the Travel Media Specialist provides support to Tourism Jasper’s travel media, mainstream media and event media relations projects and programs. The specialist coordinates media visits, researches story ideas, develops and delivers pitches, tracks media coverage, develops various communications materials, and handles media relations department administration. The specialist works very closely with Shareholders, industry partners, Alberta DMOs (Destination Marketing Organizations), PMOs (Provincial Marketing Organizations) and Destination Canada.
- A post-secondary diploma or equivalent communications related program
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in communications and media relations
- Superior written and verbal communications skills
- Significant project management experience in a deadline driven environment
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Excellent research abilities
- Strategic and critical thinking abilities
- Ability to process and present large amounts of information to diverse audiences
- Commitment to teamwork and client service
- Proven leadership
- Working knowledge of Canadian Press writing style
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite of Applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Word) and databases
- Contact Name
- Estelle Stewart
- Contact Phone
- (780) 931-6551
- Contact Email
- Closing Date
- Nov. 20, 2017
Reporting to the Media and Distribution Manager, responsibilities and essential job functions include the following and may be adapted for the ideal candidate:
Media and PR
- Execute Tourism Jasper’s media strategy.
- Learn and experience Shareholder products in depth.
- Support local media activity (pitches and as a spokesperson for interviews).
- Liaise with broadcasters and accredited media at major events, providing story ideas with supporting assets.
- Develop travel itineraries for travel media visits.
- Lead and coordinate brand and market aligned media visits.
- Create and distribute media kits.
- Host visiting media in destination.
- Research story ideas and develop brand-aligned story pitches/ideas for key markets.
- Deliver media pitches and network with targeted media at marketplaces and other travel media events.
- Source key travel media leads in key markets.
- Identify trends in travel media.
- Fulfill information and asset requests.
- Identify and manage sponsorship opportunities at media marketplace events.
- Follow-up with media from marketplace appointments.
- Assist in the development of an integrated annual travel media relations plan and budget working closely with Tourism’s trade and marketing teams
- Produce media newsletter and manage distribution.
- Communicate Shareholder and Tourism Jasper news with partners, DMOs, PMOs and Destination Canada
- Build relationships with Shareholders as it relates to tourism and media relations.
- Track, archive, and report on earned media coverage and the quality score.
- Manage media information in Tourism Jasper database.
- Manage Tourism Jasper’s Travel Media web page
- Other duties as assigned.
Budget Maintenance and Administrative Requirements
- Manage the Travel Media budget
- Monitor and track invoices and expenses that relate directly to Travel Media projects
- Prepare reports as required
- Other duties as required
This position is based in Jasper, Alberta
Frequent domestic, long-haul and trans-border travel and a valid passport is required
Employment status: Full time – 40 hours per week
Ability to help out after hours for special meetings or events
Can handle some light physical work (mostly bending, reaching, carrying light items, walking and standing)
This position offers a great benefits package with Chambers of Commerce Group Insurance Plan including health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long term disability.
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, submit a cover letter, resume and your salary expectation, with the title in the subject line of your email to Estelle Stewart at email@example.com
If applicable, please indicate the name of the Tourism Jasper Team Member who referred you to this role.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.