Assistant Director, Marketing & Communications
Posted/Last Revised: 2nd Oct, 2019
- Educational Req.
- Post-secondary degree in marketing, communications public relations, journalism, English, or a related field combined with the required experience stated below
- 5+ years of progressively responsible, broad, generalist, management marketing and communications experience with demonstrated strengths in marketing and communication approaches, marketing campaign development and management, sponsorship and relationship management, media relations/issues management and program planning in a professional or corporate environment
- Registered member with IABC, CAAP or CPRS an asset
- Supervision of a marketing and communications team in support of a professional organization
- Demonstrated ability to create a working environment that enables staff to achieve results and build organizational capacity for the future
- Demonstrable experience in a professional regulatory body would be an asset
- Contact Name
- Denise Wadel
- Contact Phone
- (587) 489-1521
- Contact Email
- Closing Date
- Oct. 31, 2019
Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You need to be committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and have a desire to deliver exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety – then come be a part of our diverse team!
Reporting to the Director, Communications, the Assistant Director, Marketing & Communications acts as the second in command to the Director, Communications and provides day-to-day leadership to the marketing and communications team and sets operational objectives, goals, and priorities ensuring staff productivity and optimal performance.
This position must be able to influence, provide support and establish collaborative relationships with the business unit leaders to ensure marketing and communication best practices and policies are followed, and that APEGA’s overall strategic goals and objectives are met.
- Provide both strategic and operational support to the Director, Communications, including planning and project oversight, reputational and brand management, stakeholder relations and sponsorship, digital content and editorial calendars, writing, editing, website oversight, assistance with budget development and monitoring, oversight and input into social media, broad marketing and communication plans, market research, media relations, as well as representing the department on various internal committees and project teams.
- Provide support and direction to the business units on marketing and communication approaches, best practices, and strategic advice, particularly on larger projects and issues that affect APEGA.
- Oversee the Communications management team, consisting of the Publications Manager, and the Manager, Marketing & Sponsorships. This includes direct leadership and supervision, recruitment, coaching, mentoring, and performance management.
- Responsible for setting key performance metrics for the team in relation to the department’s strategies, plans and objectives.
- Ensure regular and effective coordination and collaboration with the Communications Management team in meeting the broader objectives of the Communications Department, including helping allocate team resources and discussing day-to-day issues, as they arise.
- Assist the Director, Communications in aligning the department budget to the plans and objectives of the business units ensuring connection to broader organizational goals and APEGA’s Strategic Plan. The role tracks the budget throughout the year and alerts the Director of potential issues and opportunities or budget pressures.
Skills & Attributes
- Strategic marketing and communications best practices (broad understanding of marketing and communications strategic planning, practical and theoretical)
- Thorough understanding of different marketing and communication services, tools and products, both print and digital, such as media relations, social media, graphic design, marketing and advertising, branding and reputation management, digital content management, issues management
- Thorough understanding of professional self-regulation concepts and approaches
- Superior marketing and communications strategy development and planning skills
- Advanced writing, editing, and presenting skills that demonstrate senior-level style, tone, and delivery
- Advanced departmental business planning and budgeting skills
- Familiarity with a digital magazine platforms and content management systems
- Familiarity with website content management systems and workflows
- Superior understanding of digital advertising, search engine optimization, and overall digital marketing and communications
- Sound understanding of graphic and visual-design concepts
- Media relations skills and knowledge
- Established sponsorship networks and relationship management knowledge