Posted/Last Revised: 3rd Sep, 2021
- Alberta Conservation Association
- Sherwood Park
- Educational Req.
5 to 7 years of experience in the industry or a related field.
- Contact Name
- Natalia McPhee
- Contact Email
- Closing Date
- Sep. 24, 2021
Alberta Conservation Association (ACA) is looking for a highly motivated editor/writer to join our Information, Education and Communications Resource Program. This individual would be proficient in copy editing, proofreading, fact-checking, and writing various website and printed materials.
As part of the Information, Education and Communications Resource Program, your organizational and interpersonal skills will help you undertake various projects. You will draw on your experience and skills to complete objectives for internal and external communications adhering to ACA’s style guide and other company-mandated criteria.
Successful candidates will be required to operate independently and collaboratively with a team while taking responsibility for meeting deadlines. Your work, listed as follows, will support the Information, Education and Communications Resource Program with key program deliverables:
- Editing for grammar, usage, spelling, punctuation, and other mechanics of style in various copy:
- biannual and annual publications (i.e., Conservation Magazine and Alberta Discover Guide)
- corporate business documents (i.e., Annual Report, Strategic Business Plan, Annual Operating Plan, award submissions, etc.)
- scientific reports, tables, figures, references, and appendices
- digital copy: website, social media, and e-newsletters
- Checking for consistency of mechanics and facts.
- Formatting documents to standards.
- Helping to develop, maintain, and implement editorial policies, style guides, and standards; and ensuring conformance in all media platforms.
- Writing articles for biannual and annual publications (i.e., Conservation Magazine and Alberta Discover Guide), advertisement copy for digital and print media, and website content.
- Developing comprehensive and strategic creative campaigns with the Communications team.
- Maintaining awareness of current communications trends and practices.
- Providing media relations support, including develops key messages, drafts media advisories and releases, prepares spokespeople, qualifies and supervises media interviews, and provides evaluation for continuous improvement.
- Maintaining media release contacts and database.
- Monitoring and tracking media coverage.
- Bachelor of Arts or Communications degree or equivalent.
- 5 to 7 years of experience in the industry or a related field.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s licence (supply drivers abstract before start date).
- Valid First Aid Class C certification with Automated External Defibrillator (AED) training.
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Detail oriented with invaluable organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated proficiency building and maintaining positive professional partnerships.
- Must have computer knowledge and proficiency with various Microsoft programs (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint).
- Collaborative working style.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS CONSIDERED AN ASSET
- Self-starter with strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to set priorities, switch tasks quickly and efficiently, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Basic HTML skills.
- An acute awareness of project planning and deadlines, with a high tolerance for change and the flexibility to work in an interactive environment.
- Knowledge of publication development process.
- General knowledge of content management systems, search engine optimization (SEO), and social media best practices.
- Hunting/angling background.
Job Posting Closing Date: September 24, 2021, or until the position is filled.