Posted/Last Revised: 29th Apr, 2021
- Berlin Communications
- Contact Name
- Elizabeth Schowalter
- Contact Email
- Closing Date
- May. 10, 2021
Berlin Communications is an Edmonton-based agency in the business of positioning our clients to win on issues of public interest. Our goal is to create space for great people to do great work and we are looking for a Junior Designer to join our team.
We have four core values that we bring to our work and all our projects:
- Humanity – We acknowledge and respect the humanity in ourselves and others.
- Curiosity – We are curious about the world around us and the culture we live in.
- Intent – We don’t do things by accident.
- Grit – We find a way to make it happen.
You’re fresh and eager to put your design skills to the test. You love rocking out a logo or a layout equally. You welcome the challenge of a fast-paced work environment and can coolly prep art for print and digital delivery. You’ve realized that school was just the beginning and you’re excited to learn from seasoned professionals; Berlin offers that as well as learning opportunities and a culture that strives to keep it fun while doing great work.
In the short-term you’d be joining a team who is working from home but connected through regular team video calls and direct messages. However, we hope to be back in our office in downtown Edmonton in some way in the future. Pre-Covid perks include health benefits for you and yours, flex days, professional development trips and top-shelf office coffee. We’ve still got most of them but these days the trips and coffee have been replaced with virtual conferences and occasional treats delivered to your door.
Find the full job description below:
Supervisor: Creative Director
Purpose of the role:
- Provide production design and layout support on both client and internal projects.
- Work alongside the Creative Director and Art Director to grow your skills and help out on client and internal projects as needed.
- Create original designs that align to project goals and overall creative direction, fluid templates and meet a high standard.
- Take key art from the account and creative team ensuring conceptual creative ideas are designed at scale for print and digital delivery to market.
- Collaborate with the project team to explore concepts and iterate on design layouts. Anticipate and solve for potential design challenges, as well as existing conditions.
- Consult with technical disciplines to ensure designs work within given limitations, and files are prepared with all necessary information to support the design intent.
- Review final deliverables with an exacting eye, ensuring that layout, images, and typography are flawless.
- Reliable judgment to see when work may be “off track” and initiative to collaborate with others to find solutions.
- Ability to articulate ideas and be clearly understood by creative, project management and development staff, both in verbal and in written format.
- Open mindedness and curiosity – about design and the world at large
- Humility and a strong work ethic
- Openness to the ideas of the rest of the creative team
- Ownership and commitment to excellent work
- Attention to detail and good time management skills
- Alignment with our core values
Qualifications and Experience:
- Up to 3 years of experience specializing in visual design. Multimedia knowledge is an asset.
- High proficiency in the formal elements of design, including typography, layout, balance, proportion, rhythm, emphasis, and unity.
- Adobe Creative Suite expertise, including intelligently organizing files for design iteration, setting up files for web production, and adhering to graphic design standards.
Let us know if you have familiarity with any of these additional items:
- Prototyping to convey preferred states, motion, and/or behaviors for interactive concepts.
- Understanding of web development, including HTML, CSS, iOS, and other technologies.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
If you’re interested in applying, please e-mail a cover letter, resume and link to your portfolio/works samples to our Director of Operations, Elizabeth Schowalter no later than May 10, 2021.
Please don’t wait to send in your application; we will be reviewing them and conducting interviews on an ongoing basis. We’re grateful for everyone’s interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thanks for your interest – we can’t wait to meet the next Berliner.