Manager, External Communications
Posted/Last Revised: 12th Aug, 2019
- ATB Financial
- Edmonton or Calgary
- Educational Req.
As the ideal candidate you possess:
- Five or more years of progressive communications experience.
- Degree or diploma in communications, public relations, business, marketing or related program.
- Exceptional collaboration, strategic planning, communication and writing skills.
- Experience working in issues management.
- Ability to absorb information from various sources and distill into digestible thoughts.
- Proven track record of delivering results.
- Results-focused approach and strong work ethic.
- Excellent interpersonal skills—an ability to build strong relationships with, and be seen as, a trusted strategic partner amongst senior leaders.
- Ability to change priorities and work in a dynamic atmosphere.
- Professional association membership and/or accreditation in the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC), the Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS) or the Advertising Club of Edmonton (ACE) is an asset.
- Contact Name
- Kim Frey
- Contact Email
- Closing Date
- Aug. 14, 2019
The Connections team is all about identifying ideas to solve issues and to create opportunities. We get that done by breaking silos, connecting with people, and working to create efficiencies so that the whole is bigger than its parts.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Manager, External Communications (Connections), is accountable for assisting in the process management of messages and issues that affect ATB’s various stakeholder groups through the creation and management of frameworks, plans, metrics, and dashboards. In this role, the manager collaborates on an exciting range of external communications strategies and projects, working on issues management, website management, and communication process development and management. It’s an exciting opportunity to work with groups across ATB and continue to demonstrate how ATB is more than a bank for our customers.
Within communications, we live and breathe no surprises and expect our team members to identify risks, opportunities and great stories. Part of the job is to ensure that teams are informed and processes are in place so that ATB has the mechanisms to protect our reputation
Using the lens of smart, simple and helpful, the manager supports the development and execution of strategic issues management plans and tools to help deliver communications programs for a range of audiences. They also work within the communications team, supporting projects where necessary.
As part of the Connections team, the manager sometimes creates, and sometimes supports and advises. In either scenario, the goal is that connections are being made with the External team and other stakeholders. Simply by delivering good work, the manager plays a crucial role in building ATB’s brand and advancing our culture. They ensure communications are aligned with ATB’s Story and brand promise and infuse our corporate values externally. They are also responsible for supporting the delivery of strategic communications programs and resources to help ATB achieve its business objectives.
Who are you?
You’re a communications or marketing professional who thrives on collaboration. You’re excited to join a new team whose primary focus is making sure useful communication processes are in place and are supporting ATB’s business goals. You are comfortable providing input to build new ideas and build upon existing strategies. You’re passionate about providing quality work on both high profile projects and everyday activities. You’re the first one to roll up your sleeves and dig into a project while recognizing that coordination and collaboration are critical to ensuring ATB’s voice is clear, consistent and on brand.
You’re a strategic communicator who is continually striving to learn and hone your skills, with a passion for collaborating to improve communications at ATB. You’re passionate about sharing best practices and seek out innovative trends to adopt. You’re enthusiastically able to do what it takes to meet deadlines and deliver effective solutions.
You will be successful in this role based on your ability to:
- Think customer first.
- Think critically and act deliberately.
- Quickly adapt with changes to strategy and tactics to respond to evolving issues.
- Write communications pieces that are sincere and accurate.
- Develop and implement outstanding communications strategies, key messages, tactics and metrics that keep ATB customers and Albertans informed and engaged, while increasing the profile and driving the business priorities of ATB.
- Provide strategic communications and issues management counsel when necessary to internal communications and marketing colleagues, business areas and leaders.
- Work closely with the internal communications and internal departments to create a fully integrated approach.
- Design and develop performance metrics to track and evaluate the success of communication strategies.
- Excel at developing strong relationships that create trusted, long-term partnerships.