Marketing Communications Specialist
Posted/Last Revised: 22nd Sep, 2020
- River Valley Alliance
- Edmonton, Alberta
- Educational Req.
Competencies, Skills & Attributes
• Communication Skills – verbal, written, and storytelling through visualization (graphic design)
• Technical skills – well versed in website design, digital media programs, current and emerging platforms
• Ability to juggle and organize multiple priorities in a small office environment.
• Skilled photographer / editor in digital photography / videography
• A team player who works well with volunteers, external agencies, and public at large
• Post-secondary degree / diploma in any of the following disciplines – Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Digital Technologies, or Business
• At least five years in the marketing / communications field
• Strong understanding of digital software programs and social media platforms, both current and emerging
• Experience designing and creating digital newsletters
• Using social monitoring and web search data to inform a communication strategy
• Experience in a non-profit organization would be an asset
• A lover and user of the river valley to understand our vision is an important asset
- Contact Name
- Kristine Archibald
- Contact Email
- Closing Date
- Nov. 2, 2020
Do you love metro Edmonton’s River Valley? Do you want to be a part of an organization whose vision is to connect one continuous trail system from Devon to Fort Saskatchewan? Why not join our team?
The River Valley Alliance (RVA) is a non-profit corporation that is all about connecting people to the river valley – and through the river valley – by making access and usage easier for all. It is an alliance of six municipalities working together for the single goal of regional connectivity. We work with these municipalities (Parkland County, Town of Devon, City of Edmonton, Strathcona County, City of Fort Saskatchewan, Sturgeon County) to coordinate the planning, funding and development of the trail system with projects that support accessibility and connectivity to the river valley.
We are looking for an energetic individual who is self-driven, ahead of the curve on shifts in social media, and someone who can bring innovative ways to inform, engage and excite metro Edmonton’s citizen on the value, beauty and importance the river valley brings to our communities. Working with a staff of four, a volunteer Board of Directors and volunteer committees, this position keeps the RVAs brand alive and well respected with all levels of government, community groups and the public at large.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications / Marketing Specialist is a position that is responsible for creating digital content, advising on digital strategies, and general marketing and communications support as needed. The position develops a marketing / communications plan to build on its external brand profile and ensure information is delivered frequently in an engaging and informative manner. Engagement with stakeholders is key in the success of this position.
Duties include the following:
Graphic design and layout
• Design graphics and material for print or digital purposes (Annual Report, website and social medial graphics, invitations, collateral)
• Implement brand identity standards across all products and channels
• Liaise with vendors
• Develop and manage social media content calendar
• Create and post social media content
• Solicit engagement from stakeholders
• Advise on social media engagement strategies and best practices
• Content creation and refreshment including photography and videography for website and social media platforms
• Utilize a suite of digital platforms for maximum exposure of the RVA brand.
• Manage website content
• Blog content (write articles and secure guest blogs)
• Page design and maintenance
• Liaise with web vendors
• Develop content calendar
• Write articles and design layout
Volunteer programs (Community Engagement Committee / Ambassador Program)
• With Chair of Community Engagement Committee (CEC) provide logistics support for external events for both CEC members and Ambassadors
• Lead CEC / Ambassador Program communication and social media requests
• Onboard new Ambassadors
• Prepare media releases as required
• Assist with media pitches and answer media inquiries as appropriate
• Regularly monitor media and track coverage
• Logistical support for media events
• Market research – Working with external agencies, create and utilize market research on such topics as river valley usage, trail naming, etc. as data for reinforcing the brand.
• Grant writing – where available assist with Grant writing for various financial assistance.
• Report writing – working with staff and volunteer Board, craft documents such as the organization’s Strategic Plan, Annual Report, etc.
• Liaison – Liaise with partner municipalities to share brand messaging, event and social media content.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume to Kristine Archibald, email@example.com as one .pdf document
Thank you for your interest in the River Valley Alliance. Please note only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.